Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:18:35 -0000
From:      "Julien Lavigne du Cadet" <jlavigne@kaalys.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I/0 issue on a poweredge 750 wit sata raid 1.

Hi eveybody,

=20

I've been using Freebsd 4.x for more than 6 months now, with a very =
common system (P4 2,4 - 1Go ram - ide hdd). As I've been very pleased =
with this OS, I'd like to use it with one of our new server, a dell =
poweredge 750, P4 3,2 - 1Go ram -  2 sata drives on a raid 1 array.

=20

So I installed Freebsd 4.10 on it, and everything went well during the =
install. But I started a few tests (this machine is supposed to be a web =
server), and I've been very disappointed by the I/0 performances. In =
fact, the same query on the same database takes 2,56s on my old P4 =
(which supports about 300 persons on a vbulletin forum at the same =
time), and 4,80s on the new dell. Of course, the mysql configuration is =
the same, and I've launched the query a few time to avoid differences =
due to mysql cache.

Moreover, the new server has been partitioned following the FreeBSD =
standards, and softupdate is on whereas the old server doesn't have it.

=20

My guess is that it's related to raid and/or sata support on FreeBSD =
4.10 but I was not able to find much about it on google. The only thing =
interesting, was on the aac man page, which recommends to add a var to =
loader.conf for maximum performances (what I've done but it didn't make =
a difference).

=20

I didn't make any tuning of things like that. The only thing that's I've =
done is to build a new kernel with CPU_ENABLE_SSE and without I386_CPU, =
I486_CPU, I586_CPU.

=20

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,

Julien Lavigne du Cadet.=20