Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:23:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com (Christopher Michaels)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions (E-mail))
Subject:   Re: How to use a X server other than /usr/X11R6/bin/X ?

Christopher Michaels wrote,
> Hi,
> Sorry if this is painfully obvious, but I went over the xinit and startx
> information (read the script, man pages, etc...) and I can't seem to figgure
> out how to use an alternate X server when starting X.
>
> Any pointers would be helpful.  If you're going to point me to the xinit man
> page, please point out a specific section I may have overlooked.

If you are going to always be using this other server, move the
symbolic link, /usr/X11R6/bin/X, to point to whatever server you want
to be using instead of whatever it is pointing at now.

If that's not what you want, I'm not sure how you missed these on the
xinit(1) page,

      "If no specific server program  is  given  on  the  command
       line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home direc-
       tory called .xserverrc to run as a shell script  to  start
       up the server.  If no such file exists, xinit will use the
       following as a default:

            X  :0"

So you can start a specific server from .xserverrc in your $HOME. It
continues to point out,

      "An  alternate client and/or server may be specified on the
       command line.  The desired client program  and  its  argu-
       ments  should be given as the first command line arguments
       to xinit.  To specify a particular  server  command  line,
       append a double dash (--) to the xinit command line (after
       any client and arguments) followed by the  desired  server
       command."

It then continues about command line options.

Are you having trouble understanding what that is trying to tell you
to do?