Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:38:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        martin.vana@vslib.cz (Martin Vana)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: power point

> hi,
> is there a way to convert ms powerpoint presentation into jpegs?
> or to view it under Freebsd?

Install Openoffice.  It has a presenter that can open Powerpoint
files to show them or incorporate them in to presentations.

You might have to tinker around to get things like you are used
to, but it should work.

You might prefer installing Openoffice as a precompiled package
because it is very large and takes a long time and a lot of
resources to build from ports.  Go to:
    http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/
They have a package for FreeBSD
download it to /usr/local  and run pkg-add on the .tgz file.

Then run /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/soffice
Unfortunately, the instructions incorrectly says to run openoffice
instead of soffice to get the setup going.

Also, the install allows you to replace the installation path.
I suggest you leave it as /usr/local, but change that OpenOffice.org1.1.0
part to something a little more friendly.

The essential callable binaries will be put in /usr/local/bin so
you will need to have that in your path and do a rehash.

Also, there are two files - one is soffice.cfg and I don't remember
the other at the moment (and am not near my system with openoffice)
that it will complain it can't find when you try to run something.
Just go to the directory they are expected to be in .../openoffice/conf
I think, and do  touch soffice.cfg   and the same to the other one.
An empty file is OK.   You may add config things later if you discover
the need.

Also, don't wory about when it complains some Java stuff isn't present
so certain features won't be available.  I haven't found anything
that won't work because of it.   Probably something obsure or cutsie.

Have fun,

////jerry