Date:      16 Feb 2002 04:19:48 -0800
From:      Eric Anholt <eanholt@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lane Holcombe <lane@joeandlane.com>
Cc:        Dan Shookowsky <dshookowsky@comcast.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I install XF86_mach64?

I think you're confusing 3d drivers with 2d drivers, which is what he
was asking for.  The 3.3.6 XFree86 which comes with FreeBSD in the
Distributions option includes a Mach64 2d driver in the Servers section
as "Ma64".  The XFree86 4.x series has Mach64 support in the base
package (/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 or the XFree86 4 miniports in
/usr/ports/x11*).  Dan: I would recommend the 4.x series if you have the
bandwidth/time to get it.

As far as 3d support, Utah-GLX may support Rage Pro mach64s on FreeBSD,
but I don't know much about it (last experience with mach64 was a 2mb
rage pro with 3.3.6 on linux, and I have no experience with utah on
FreeBSD).  There are also several developers working on mach64 support
for the dri.  At this point they have it working in a very insecure
mode, but have been able to run many popular apps (q3, etc.).  The
kernel module has not been ported to FreeBSD because it's still in heavy
development (doesn't implement DMA yet).