Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:00:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best IDSN?

On 15-Mar-98 Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:

>> >       Are you using an internal model?  Is there an advantage to the
>> > Bitsurfer Pro?  I could find few references to models in use when
>> > searching the mailing list archives.  The Sportster seemed to be one
>> > of
>> > the fist mentioned.
>>
>> I belive there is an internal version, althogh I do not know what the
>> advantage of tat will be.  As long as it appears to the system as an sio
>> class device.
>>
>> I am using an external one with 230,400 baud rate rather well for
>> several
>> years.  Never had one fail, or mulfunction in any way.
>
>       What kind of UART's does your serial hardware use?  My boca 6 port
> uses 16550A's, which I believe are only good upto 115Kbaud.  I want to
> avoid getting an aditional serial board with 16650's.

The same junk.  Only with a jumper to double the clock rate.  Unix still
thinks this is 115,200, but in reality it is exactly double.  There was a
long discussion on this part several times.  Lst time I triggered it under
the heading of silo overflow, or some such.  My undestanding at the end was
that the FreeBSD way of handling this device (or the device ``genetics'')
are such that at high baud rates, there will be an occsional character drop.

If you locate an ISDN TA that does NOT use a serial UART, but it's own
interface, and for the US market, please let me know. In the meantime I am
looking at SDLC/HDLC and frame relays.