Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 15:45:30 -0500
From:      "Keith A. Fredericks" <keith@kellysoftware.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   file system problems

Hi,

I installed 2.1.6 about a week ago.  After running fine for a
couple of days, I was in X and things apparently started to
deteriorate.  I lost my shell in /usr/local/bin and various
X11R6 executables were no longer executable.  I found stuff
like my bin directory and dozens more files (the ones I touched?)
were all zero length files.  I manually fsck'd.  It looked like
mainly directories were gone.  I decided to reinstall.  And,
it happened again.

This time, I was in X playing a music CD and bringing up Netscape.
The cursor locked and the screen blanked and the machine rebooted.
I had many bad files in the manual fsck of my /usr file system.

I have a NEC p133 w/Aurora motherboard with 48M RAM that includes
the S3 Trio64V+ and the Vibra 16 chips.  I have a Toshiba XM-5401B
SCSI CD-ROM drive and a Micropolis 4.2G AV SCSI drive and the
Adaptec 2940 controller.  Also, I have the 3com 3c590 pci ethernet
card.

What is killing my file system?  How can I prevent this?  I will
try to figure this out, but I thought someone might have run into
this and can tell me what to change.

-keith
--
Keith A. Fredericks                      keith@kellysoftware.com
Kelly Music & Entertainment   630 Fifth Ave.    Rockefeller Ctr.