Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:23:23 -0400
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <geoffr@globalserve.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reading Cycled Logs

Hi,
I admin a co-hosted server and every few weeks I login to find it has
rebooted. I don't know if its a technical problem, a power failure or
somebody with root privileges from my ISP doing work on it. My problem
is that the last two times its happened the /var/log/messages file had
been cycled before I got to it so I can't find out if it was done by a
user or not. My question is how do I extract the compressed back logs
and how do I determine which log file to decompress? When the messages
log is cycled is it numbered 1 and all the other archived logs moved up
in number so that the last one is deleted or dose it archive them in a
loop. (ie. archives it as messages.1.gz, then messages.2.gz the next
time until it reaches the last number and goes back to messages.1.gs ).

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Geoffrey Robinson
geoffr@globalserve.net