Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:27:21 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change Telnet Prelogin message?

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:45:12PM -0800, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:17:30PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > Hey friends,
> > I got a BBS up as you may know from my previous post, and i need to allow
> > telnet access. I want a pre login message telling users to please only use
> > telnet for BBS and to use SSH2 for shell access. FreeBSDdiary.org is down,
> > and FreeBSD cheat sheets example has a much older GETTYTAB. Im almost
> > positive you guys can have me hacking this in moments. Pour some knowledge
> > on me. Thanks.
>
> motd(5)

Close, but motd is definitely post login.  /etc/issue can be used to
display a message on the console before the login prompt.  All you
need do is write some content into the file.  This file should work
using the standard gettytab(5) file under FreeBSD with both getty(8)
and telnetd(8), although I haven't tried using it with telnet recently
myself.  You want to look for use of the 'if' or the 'im' properties
in gettytab(5).

The equivalent for sshd(8) is to set the Banner property in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config, although this only works if you use the SSH2
protocol.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way