Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:50:54 +0200
From:      Siavash EDRISI <siavash@edrisi.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Finding the Right Sound Driver ...

Hi!

I have been reading the text "Setting Up the Sound Card" at

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

in order to find and install the right driver for the sound card in my i386. The
hardware is an ESS 1869 PCI. Before I had WinXP installed on this hardware and
it reported that the location of the card is: PCI slot 3 (PCI bus 0, device 14,
function 0)

I did whatever is described in the section 7.2.1 of the manual:

1- I checked the entries in "/boot/defaults/loader.conf". The right line was
  snd_sbc_load="NO"
I imagine this means that the driver is already somewhere on the harddisk!

2- Then I inserted the following line into /boot/loader.conf
  snd_sbc_load="YES"

3- I booted the system.

Right after calling "startx" and entering KDE I got (as usual) the error message
that the sound server could not find the file /dev/dsp.

As I read in the manual configuring a custom kernel with sound support is just a
second method and can be used alternatively. So I am not sure if I really have
to do something in the kernel or not, since the first efforts did not help!

Could someone please tell me what I still have to do? I would of course be very
thankful for more precise advices.

Thanks in advance
Sia