Date:      22 Feb 2004 11:59:09 +0100
From:      Marten <mvnrelay@xs4all.nl>
To:        Richard Letts <richard@illuin.org>
Cc:        mob <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: weak signal

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 08:33, Richard Letts wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Neil Camara wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I am using Netgear MA311 PCI card on FreeBSD as my access point. It's down
> > in my basement. I am only getting 2 bars in my workstation situated in 1st
> > floor. Is there a way to make the signal much more stronger?
>
> I picked up an external Omnidirection antenna from Frys last weekend for
> my MA311 for about $30. I think it was a SMC or LynkSys, either way it
> sits on top of my freeBSD box instead of burried in the tangle of wires at
> the back and I get quite a lot more signal to the tivo box, and our
> laptops.

hi
The site
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b
says it has an reversepolarity sma connector,

With a pigtail it is very easy to make a bi-quad antenna
like:
http://www.wlan.org.uk/simple_double_quad.gif
http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad/

or this very simple solution?     (not tested :)  )
http://osiris.urbanna.net/antenna_designs/projects/template/

more antennas:
http://wiki.wirelessleiden.nl/wcl/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/RadioAntenne

About the phone, if it does channel hopping, don't use it. With
netstumbler / dstumbler / kismet your can see where the noise from the
the phone is.

Marten