Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 23:50:05 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE to 4.0-STABLE upgrade

Hi:

I just did an upgrade to STABLE.  I just wanted to check what I did was OK.

First, the handbook says to do the following order:
1. backup
2. CVsup
3. check /etc/make.conf and /etc/group
4. drop to single-user mode
5. remove /usr/obj
6. make world (or make buildworld and make installworld)
7. update /etc, /dev, (and optionally /stand)
8. compile and install a new kernel
9. reboot (with fastboot)

****** WHAT I DID DIFFERENTLY ********
1. I used mergemaster for updating /etc.

2. www.freebsddiary.com has description of going from 4.0-RELEASE to STABLE
and provides a script for doing so.  The description and script shows that
compiling and installing a new kernel (#8 above) comes *AFTER* make world
(#6 above) - and *BEFORE* updating /etc.  Thus, according to them, #8 comes
before #7 in the above list.

3. Oops!  I removed /usr/obj *AFTER* the make world, not before.  I tried to
redo make world but after a few messages (which seemed unimportant) it told
me that the proc tables were full.  I then compiled and installed a new
kernel without any noticeable problems.

4. NOTE: For me, /etc/make.conf has only one line: "USA_RESIDENT=YES".
Apparantly /etc/defaults/make.conf is what needs to be edited (after being
copied to /etc.)  Since I had not figured this out beforehand, I was unable
to uncomment out CFLAGS and NOPROFILE as instructed in the Handbook.

I have booted into, and am writing to you from, STABLE.  Whatever I may have
done wrong, so far I have not seen any (noticeable) problems.

QUESTION:
Will my system be OK?  Will any of the above cause any problems (especially
removing /usr/obj before making and installing the kernel)