Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:13:26 GMT
From:      "Randy Waterhouse" <randywaterhouse@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Packet filtering with PPP

I've been experimenting with the packet filtering options of userland
PPP in FreeBSD 3.3 and have a couple of questions.

To see log messages for packets that are denied by a packet filtering
rule it looks like you have to enable the TCP/IP logging option.
But this logs a *lot* of information.  I'm only interested in
knowing when I've received a packet that's been denied by a packet
filtering rule.  Is there an easy way to do this?  Maybe a new "Filter"
logging option?

Also, I don't see a "reset" option for the packet filtering action
clause.  Is this because it's difficult to do under PPP or has it
just not been implemented yet.  A reset option would be nice for
those pesky ident requests.

I know the above issues can easily be handled by ipfw but I was
just wondering if PPP could do it too.

RW