Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 01:04:49 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: funny network speeds

> >I notice a strange difference in the network speed, wether
> >I upload something with ftp, or download it.
> >WD8013EPC (zola)
> >3c509 (nietzsche)
>
>    Interesting...I don't know off hand where the problem is, but it appears to
> be dropping packets. If you could look at the netstat -i statistics on both
> machines, this would help. netstat -s might also help.
>
> -DG
I installed 2.0.5 on nietzsche to see if it made a difference. Both
are 2.0.5 now. Performance
seems to be a little bit better now, but fluctuates more. ftp'ing from
zola to nietzsche still gives the worst performance, but fluctuates
between 100k/s and 500k/s. When I look at the flow of the hashmarks,
then going from zola->nietzsche there is still a break in the flow,
going from nietzsche->zola the flow is steady.

Here's the output from netstat -i after the kernel has been copied
between the two machines several times (10-20 times):

nietzsche:
Name  Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
ed0   1500  <Link>00.00.c0.40.9c.56         9441     0     7811     0
 25
ed0   1500  192.168.1   nietzsche           9441     0     7811     0
 25
lp0*  1500  <Link>                             0     0        0     0
  0
lo0   16384 <Link>                           379     0      379     0
  0
lo0   16384 your-net    localhost            379     0      379     0
  0
sl0*  552   <Link>                             0     0        0     0
  0
tun0* 1500  <Link>                          2741     0     2900     0
  0

zola:
Name  Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
lp0*  1500  <Link>                             0     0        0     0
  0
ep0   1500  <Link>00.20.af.27.6e.66       151904     0   110125     3
  0
ep0   1500  192.168.1   zola              151904     0   110125     3
  0
lo0   16384 <Link>                           730     0      730     0
  0
lo0   16384 your-net    localhost            730     0      730     0
  0
sl0*  552   <Link>                             0     0        0     0
  0
tun0* 1500  <Link>                             0     0        0     0
  0

and the output from netstat -s

nietzsche:
ip:
        12569 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        0 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        0 fragments dropped after timeout
        0 packets reassembled ok
        12397 packets for this host
        172 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        0 packets forwarded
        0 packets not forwardable
        0 redirects sent
        11540 packets sent from this host
        0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        440 output packets discarded due to no route
        0 output datagrams fragmented
        0 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
icmp:
        174 calls to icmp_error
        0 errors not generated 'cuz old message was icmp
        Output histogram:
                destination unreachable: 174
        0 messages with bad code fields
        0 messages < minimum length
        0 bad checksums
        0 messages with bad length
        Input histogram:
                echo reply: 5
                destination unreachable: 171
        0 message responses generated
igmp:
        0 messages received
        0 messages received with too few bytes
        0 messages received with bad checksum
        0 membership queries received
        0 membership queries received with invalid field(s)
        0 membership reports received
        0 membership reports received with invalid field(s)
        0 membership reports received for groups to which we belong
        0 membership reports sent
tcp:
        10673 packets sent
                4876 data packets (6074172 bytes)
                37 data packets (4078 bytes) retransmitted
                2386 ack-only packets (2038 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                0 window probe packets
                3246 window update packets
                205 control packets
        12170 packets received
                2628 acks (for 6074207 bytes)
                160 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                9624 packets (12683906 bytes) received in-sequence
                130 completely duplicate packets (47037 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                4 packets with some dup. data (59 bytes duped)
                14 out-of-order packets (0 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                209 window update packets
                5 packets received after close
                0 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        110 connection requests
        61 connection accepts
        102 connections established (including accepts)
        236 connections closed (including 3 drops)
        2 embryonic connections dropped
        2601 segments updated rtt (of 2616 attempts)
        66 retransmit timeouts
                2 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
        0 keepalive timeouts
                0 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        625 correct ACK header predictions
        9011 correct data packet header predictions
        0 PCB cache misses
udp:
        223 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        0 with bad data length field
        0 with bad checksum
        174 dropped due to no socket
        0 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        49 delivered
        588 datagrams output

zola:
ip:
        152612 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        7 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        21016 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        2 fragments dropped after timeout
        3531 packets reassembled ok
        134783 packets for this host
        337 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        0 packets forwarded
        0 packets not forwardable
        0 redirects sent
        109944 packets sent from this host
        0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        0 output packets discarded due to no route
        696 output datagrams fragmented
        989 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
icmp:
        336 calls to icmp_error
        0 errors not generated 'cuz old message was icmp
        Output histogram:
                destination unreachable: 336
        0 messages with bad code fields
        0 messages < minimum length
        0 bad checksums
        0 messages with bad length
        Input histogram:
                echo reply: 2
                destination unreachable: 337
        0 message responses generated
igmp:
        0 messages received
        0 messages received with too few bytes
        0 messages received with bad checksum
        0 membership queries received
        0 membership queries received with invalid field(s)
        0 membership reports received
        0 membership reports received with invalid field(s)
        0 membership reports received for groups to which we belong
        0 membership reports sent
tcp:
        99897 packets sent
                84099 data packets (65215970 bytes)
                2 data packets (1980 bytes) retransmitted
                13624 ack-only packets (13551 delayed)
                1 URG only packet
                49 window probe packets
                2032 window update packets
                90 control packets
        118509 packets received
                80347 acks (for 65215185 bytes)
                36 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                39439 packets (8618339 bytes) received in-sequence
                5 completely duplicate packets (864 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                0 packets with some dup. data (0 bytes duped)
                54 out-of-order packets (1240 bytes)
                1 packet (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                984 window update packets
                0 packets received after close
                0 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        52 connection requests
        14 connection accepts
        59 connections established (including accepts)
        66 connections closed (including 2 drops)
        6 embryonic connections dropped
        80347 segments updated rtt (of 62989 attempts)
        2 retransmit timeouts
                0 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
        6 keepalive timeouts
                0 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        32212 correct ACK header predictions
        15545 correct data packet header predictions
        0 PCB cache misses
udp:
        16273 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        0 with bad data length field
        0 with bad checksum
        336 dropped due to no socket
        0 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
        17 dropped due to full socket buffers
        15920 delivered
        9703 datagrams output

Thanks for looking this far,

Marc.
Marc van Kempen                    wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl

He's dead Jim ..., kick him if you don't believe me.