Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:42:56 -0400
From:      James Higgins <higginsj@iname.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another record

David Greenman wrote:
> * Long Snip *
>
> >Can you give us some more details on wcarchives other upcoming upgrades?
> >
> >You had mentioned putting a 400Mhz Xeon in.  Is this change going to a
> >allow more ftp sessions or just get the load average under 30 occasionally?
> ><grin>
> >
> >Thanks! ;-)
>
>    The load average on a machine like wcarchive might just as well be a random
> number. It's a composite of both disk and CPU "load" and isn't useful in our
> case for determining the machine's potential. In fact, what is interesting
> is that the load average (which is typically around 25-60 on wcarchive, but
> varies a lot) is so LOW. Don't forget that we have *3500* file downloads go
> on. One might expect the load average to be well into the hundreds.

This is something that has been in my mind for quite a while.  Just
exactly how is the load average on a machine calculated?  It seems to
very from OS to OS and I have never really been able to make much sense
of it other than to tell if something really out of the ordinary is
happening on a machine. (ie 6 hits at work and the load average shoots
up I just ran into the daily backup, time to go home)

>    As for planned upgrades, we'll be going to Xeon/4xx in a month or so. The
> main reason for doing this is the increased memory capacity - the new machine
> will have 4GB of RAM. This will allow us to increase the FTP limit to at
> least 10000 users. My main concern at the moment is that we don't have
> sufficient network bandwidth to support that many users (we're just hitting
> the limit of our 100Mbps circuit with 3500 users). We're talking with CRL
> about our options. I'm advocating gigabit ethernet, but we may have to
> settle for multiple 100Mbps circuits in the short term.

One word:

Wow!

James Higgins