Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

[CC: trimmed to -arch]
> In message <200004070553.WAA39643@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> "Rodney W. Grimes" writes:
> : Trust me I would notice the mis-features.  Once installed tcsh 'cas I was
> : told how great it was.  Riped it out 4 hours later due to incompatibilities
> : with these 40 year old, 20 year BSD csh trained fingers of mine would keep
> : typing things that tcsh didn't like.
>
> I noticed that tcsh used to be much less compatible with csh than it
> is today.  Several years (1989) ago I installed it and went nuts with
> the subtle differences.  Tried it again a little later (1991) and have
> been hooked ever since.  The second time I tried it I didn't even

Last time I tried it was in 1993, after the FreeBSD project started,
well after you had ``been hooked'' :-)

> notice that it was tsch, and the release notes specifically stated
> that much work had been done to make it BSD csh compatible.  Before it
> felt combatible[sic] with system V csh, which I believe was a 4.1 or
> earlier csh (but the ethno-cyberhistorians will tell me if I'm wrong).

It still felt like sysVish csh to me in '93...

> Maybe it might be worth trying out for a few hours over the next day
> or two the latest tsch and see if it is still

I'll give you the benifit of a doubt... ports on the way to my
scratch box incase it does something stupid with one of my wild
command line History Substitutions and decides to newfs/rm/dd
the wrong things...

> : It also would not grok my prompt env setting either...
>
> I don't recall that bug.  As an experiment, I just ripped out my "if
> I'm running in tcsh, do xXX" code and it seemed to look just like
> csh.  Complete with the whacked out alaises that I have for changing
> the prompt based on the dir I'm in.
>
> : I don't :-)  At least we agree to disagree :-)
>
> True.  But at least we're talking about what we disagree on.

And not just doing the <aol> me too </aol> thing all the others seem
to enjoy doing during these types of threads...  (Sorry to beat this
issue so much, but I've now seen at least 6 of them with 0 technical
content, one even asking if his vote still counted...

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net