Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:31:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Module parameters?

In message <396B8BBB.4AA1867D@lucent.com> "Gary T. Corcoran" writes:
: No, I know it's not that easy.  We need to be able to do things
: like have "TransmissionMode=4" on the kldload command line, and
: have that parse the decimal value 4, and then go into the module
: and set the value of the TransmissionMode variable to actually be
: 4 immediately after loading the module into memory, before any of
: its subroutines are called.  This is what the Linux module loader
: allows, and it's extremely useful...

Understood.  What I'm suggesting is that you get those values from the
kernel like so:

	int transmission_mode;

	transmission_mode = 4;	/* 4 is the default */
	if (resource_int_value(name, unit, "TransmissionMode",
	    &transmission_mode) != 0)
		resource-int_value(name, -1, "TransmissionMode",
		    &transmission_mode);

You can then put
	hint.dslmodem.-1.TransmissionMode=4
in your hints file for the kernel.

Right now the draw back of this is that hints cannot be added after
boot.  We're working on fixing that.  So if you use this model, you'll
get the dynamic setting of this information essensially for free.

Warner