Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:47:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cpn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fed up with PPP

just to add my $0.02...

I think you are jumping the gun by trying to force packet mode before the
terminal server is ready.

what happens after you enter your password?  does the terminal server
return a prompt ?

On the annex servers I have had to deal with, I have always had to type
ppp and press enter to get ppp started.

once you type ppp <enter> your ppp program should automatically detect
packet mode and switch for you.

here is the relevant part of my ppp.conf with the annex login if it helps.

-------------------------------

annex:
 set phone 12345678
 set login "TIMEOUT 15 name:-\\r-name: cpn word: ****** > ppp"
 set timeout 0
 dial

In my case the prompt I expect is ">" (without the quotes).  If your
prompt is different you will have to substitute an appropriate one.

cheers,
Carey Nairn