Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:49:43 +0200
From:      Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XDM cannot start desktop after Xorg upgrade

--------------050304000505030402000209

2013-06-09 07:46, Leslie Jensen skrev:

> 2013-06-08 17:28, Polytropon skrev:
>> On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:20:56 +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using XDM as login manager for years. Since the latest Xorg
>>> upgrade, XDM cannot start XFCE4 as it used to.
>>
>> Strange that this happens after an upgrade. What initalization
>> mechanism do you use for your X session? Do you use the "chained"
>> approach, i. e., ~/.xsession containing
>>
>>     #!/bin/csh
>>     source ~/.cshrc
>>     exec ~/.xinitrc
>>
>> and all your session startup stuff in ~/xinitrc? (I'm using this
>> approach for many years with XDM successfully.)
>>

>>> Disabling XDM and starting X manually works.
>>
>> In this case, ~/.xinitrc will be processed. XDM does use ~/.xsession
>> instead (same content can be used). This seems to indicate that
>> the upgrade did not affect the programs called.
>>

> I've done like this
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 user  user     9 31 Dec 17:53 .xinitrc@ -> .xsession
>

> These are the contents of .xsession
>
> #
> LANG=sv_SE.ISO8859-1; export LANG
> /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

I've disabled XDM for now starting X manually.

When I exit X I see this on the console:

Thanks

/Leslie

--------------050304000505030402000209

onStopListening called for active ServerSocket...

(xfce4-session:2440): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GEr
ror or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before
it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/sys
tem_bus_socket: Filen eller katalogen finns ej

(xfce4-session:2440): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GEr
ror or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before
it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/sys
tem_bus_socket: Filen eller katalogen finns ej
xfce4-session: Querying suspend failed: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbu
s/system_bus_socket: Filen eller katalogen finns ej

xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 35 (Resursen är t
illfälligt otillgänglig) on X server :0.0.
.failed to unset mtrr: No such file or directory

--------------050304000505030402000209--