Date:      Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:22:18 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys@opusnet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Reverting Ports 5.4 -> 5.3

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 15:03, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com> writes:
>
> > As I do not have the expertise to fix this and I would rather have a
> > working system, I would like to role back to 5.3 as this worked. I
> > assume that if I did a CVSup with TAG=5.3 this should get me back to
> > 5.3_stable. I am not convinced though. Is this correct?
>
> AFAIK, the only 5 thing called "stable" is 5-STABLE = RELENG_5, which,
> of course, is not stable; for that reason, you might try getting and
> trying it again -- you might have grabbed it at a bad moment, like
> between updates.
>
> And I'm not aware of a "5.3" tag other than "RELENG_5_3" (the latest
> bug-fix release) and RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE (the original release).
>
> As for the ports, I doubt that you need to do anything, but it sounds
> from /usr/ports/sysutils/portdowngrade/pkg-descr that there's a way
> to revert ports as needed.

Thanks Gary,

I'm now very confused. I CVSuped with TAG=5.3, built world and the
Kernel, but got the same problem with the boot disk not found. I'm not
sure what to do next. I guess that I could try installing world in case
that cures the problem the worst that could happen is that I can't boot
the system. I can always reinstall from CD - that is probably quicker
than trying to build a RELENG_5_3_0_Release.

Rob