Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:01:07 +0100
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: taking many 198k mp3 files and converting them to 16k mp3

On Sunday 27 August 2006 06:36, Gary Kline wrote:
> files.
> X-Of_Interest:  Observing twenty years of service to the Unix community
>

> 	Is there a way of using sox (or another translator) to turn HUGE
> 	audio mp3 files into much much smaller files?  Say taking man mp3
> 	files that are stored at 198k high fidelity and outputting these to
> 	16k or 32k mp3 (or *.ogg or other format) audio files?
>
> 	thanks for any insights, sugggestions, or pointers,
>
> 	gary

I wrote this a while back.  You might find it useful or be able to update it
to do what you need.

#!/bin/sh
basedir=/home1/convert
touch ${basedir}/mp3lock
# Convert all mp3 files in $basedir to $bitrate, $samplerate, $channels
# where $bitrate, $samplerate and $channels are derived from the pathname.
#
# $basedir - "top" of the tree to convert. Below $basedir should be two
#            directories named "todo" and "done".
#            Below "todo" you must create directories named using this
#            convention:
#            @bb@ss@cc@ - where bb is the desired bitrate, ss is the desired
#                         samplerate and cc is the channels or mode.  The mode
#                         may be one of s, stereo, j, joint-stereo, m, mono,
#                         f, forced joint-stereo or d, duel channel.
#            The mp3 files will be stored  below "todo/@bb@ss@cc@" and will be
#            converted using the parameters extracted from the directory name
and
#            then saved into an identical dir structure below "done".
#
#            Note:  Spaces in the filenames will be replaced with underscores.
#                   Spaces in directory names will remain as is
#
#            The original file will be deleted after it has been converted.
#            Comment out the rm "$filename" near the end to keep the original.
#
# $ffile  - just the filename (in case we need this at a future date)
#
# $destfile - full, modified, path to the "done" dir tree

find "$basedir"/todo -name "*.mp3" -type f |
while read filename
  do
    destfile=`echo -n "$filename" | sed 's/\/todo\//\/done\//' |
sed 's/ /_/g'`
    ffile=${destfile##*/}
    fpath=${destfile%/*}
# Check if dest. path exists, create if req.
    if [ ! -d "$fpath" ]
      then
        mkdir -p "$fpath"
    fi
# Get conversion parameters from pathname
    bitrate=`echo $destfile | cut -f 2 -d @`
    samplerate=`echo $destfile | cut -f 3 -d @`
    channels=`echo $destfile | cut -f 4 -d @`
echo    nice -n 20 lame -h -b $bitrate --resample $samplerate -m
$channels "$filename" "$destfile"
#    rm "$filename"
  done
rm `echo ${basedir}/mp3lock`