Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:57:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG

I have installed X11R6 for use with a PC X server via xdmcp.  I
have noticed a subtle difference in behaviour between my xdm launched
xterms and telnet sessions.  What is it about how I am using xdm
that makes these error messages appear?

*** Output from an xterm launched in an xdm session.

const> man xterm

[ Pager output ommited ]
[ Press q to quit the pager ]

zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
const> cat mbox | more

[ Pager output ommited ]
[ Press q to quit the pager ]

cat: stdout: Broken pipe

*** Output from a terminal emulator via telnet (or xterm launched
    via rexec.)

const> man xterm

[ Pager output ommited ]
[ Press q to quit the pager ]

const> cat mbox | more

[ Pager output ommited ]
[ Press q to quit the pager ]

I understand the mechanics of pipes and the meaning of the error
messages.  The error output appears to be legitimate.  So why does
the same output not appear in the telnet session?  I suspect that
it has to do with the order that the processes in the pipe are
shutdown.

Thanks for any clues.

  Allen Campbell
  allenc@verinet.com