Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:16:11 +0200
From:      Phil Sadler <PhilS@ult.co.za>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   University of Cape Town

I deal with the University and they are looking at upgrading servers, and
Compaq has proposed Alphaservers running Linux. However, I am not sure
whether they will be viable users of DS20E machines as I cannot find
confirmation of FreeBSD being suitable to the new (???) generation of Alpha.
Compaq actively promotes Red Hat, Caldera, Suse, but makes no mention of
FreeBSD (or NetBSD etc).

Would FreeBSD run on DS20E, and more importantly would this be a valuable
investment, or should they rather deploy on Intel CPU's?

The proposed solution includes Alphaserver for Linux, Proliants for NT, and
thin clients for student access. So the other question is will thin client
access via Citrix be able to run sessions on the Linux server? They
currently use PC's dual booting to either the Citrix server or to the
FreeBSD server.

Hope someone can help out there!!!

PS:

I have an Alphaserver 300 at home loaded with TRU64. Would this be able to
run FreeBSD?
I also have a Dec 3000 model 600 at home loaded with OpenVMS. Would this be
able to run FreeBSD?