Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:28:22 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015338502.1434b0@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are UFS and FFS the same thing ?

Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net> types:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:55:50PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net> types:
> > > Is UFS an outgrowth of FFS ?
> > The other way 'round.
> > If you watch the FreeBSD lists long enough, you'll eventually here
> > grumbling about needing to change all the userland names from
> > fooufsbar to fooffsbar, and then nobody will do anything, because it's
> > an awful lot of work for a purely cosmetic change.
> Oh, then I am historically confused here.
> FFS is not the "Berkely Fast File System" of yesteryear then ?

No, that's what FFS is. But UFS is the Unix File System, which
predated the Berkeley Fast File System.

> As for changing the names, sure;y you could do that in a perl --oops,
> sorry Mike, a python script :)

:-). No, I don't think it's that easy. You have top change all the
file names, and all the variables referenced inside the code, and make
sure that you haven't introduced variable name conflicts somewhere.

	<mike