Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:24:44 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't start xdm on boot ???

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 07:02:34PM -0500, Mark A. Hummel wrote:

> I've followed the instructions in FAQ (How do I start XDM on boot?)
> to the letter and I still can't get to xdm on boot.  What am I doing
> wrong?

First, what version of FreeBSD are you using? The tty to use could be
different from what you read. I am not sure at what version the change
over occurred but older versions use ttyv3 and newer versions use ttyv8

> I used the /etc/ttys method by adding:
>
> xdm

So you should have a line in /etc/ttys that reads:
ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	on  secure

The line is there by default, you uncomment it and change the off to on.

> Then, in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers I added:
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt4

This does not look right. Remove the vt4.

> It's as if I made no changes at all.  I still have to startx to bring
> up KDE.

After you have verified that the line in /etc/ttys is correct and have
fixed the line in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers then at a command
prompt (as root) type the following to test it:

  xdm -nodaemon

The xdm login screen should appear. Switch back to your console screen
(e.g.  Alt-F1) then type Ctrl-C to kill the xdm process. If all is
well you will see xdm at your next reboot. However, you do not have to
reboot. You can do the following (as root):

kill -1 1

This will cause the init process to rescan the /etc/ttys file and will
activate xdm. Note that you need to have a .xsession file in your home
directory and it must have the executable flag set. The .xsession file
contains whatever programs you want to start; man xdm(1).

Since you mention KDE, you may want to try out kdm after you get
familiar with xdm.

Hope this helps.

--
Glenn Johnson