Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:05:36 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for FILE problems (was Re: -CURRENT is bad for me...)

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <xzppugno1jr.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> : Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com> writes:
> : > Attached is a patch that attempts to work around recent stdio
> : > breakage in -current.  I've verified it compiles, but won't be
> : > able to test it until at least tomorrow.  If someone wants to
> : > review it and verify it works, I'll commit it.
> :
> : Please. Let's not, and say we did.
>
> I'd rather see this patch, or something similar, than bump the major
> version again.  We can phase in a better way to obviate the need to do
> this in the future.

Personally, I think we place far too much weight on the major number thing.
I think we should be allowed to bump it when the alternative is 'major pain'
to developers.

I also object to hacking around like this.  I would far prefer that we fix
it properly.  We *need* to be able to innovate, especially with locking in
libc in 5.x.  I suspect we will have major events like this several more
times before 5.0-R when we add in hooks for KSE or rfork threading.

http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/stdio.diff3

Lets commit that and get on with life.  Existing binaries will just keep
on running.

And if we dont ship libc.so.5, in 5.0-R, then *so what*?

Cheers,
-Peter