Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:39:32 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
Subject:   SOLVED: 2.1.7 and Tripwire ftruncate() fun

At 04:28 PM 2/24/97 -0500, Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com> wrote:
>I'm running Tripwire with no problems.  I do remember that I had to
>compile the program with #define STDLIBH in the conf-bsd.h file.  Without
>that it will not process symlinks.
>

>Craig

Thank you Craig Shrimpton for pointing me at the solution.

I really thought I had defined STDLIBH.  In my earlier search through the
archives, I noticed a message mentioning that certain header files need to
be included for ftruncate to correctly work.  I then looked at the Tripwire
sources and noticed that STDLIBH must be defined for the file(s) to be
correctly included.  I then defined STDLIBH in the Makefile as a compiler
command-line "-DSTDLIBH" so I thought STDLIBH was defined.

I was mistaken.  I didn't even bother to check the Tripwire
configs/conf-bsd.h (which I was using) at all.  There was a nifty little
"#undef STDLIBH" line in there defeating my command-line definition.
Thanks to craigs@os.com's message for pointing me to the conf-bsd.h file!

Here's what I did to get Tripwire working on my 2.1.7 system.  In
Tripwire's configs subdirectory, I copied conf-bsd.h, creating a
conf-freebsd.h file.  I edited it and changed it so that STDLIBH and DIRENT
were both #defined instead of #undef'd.  I then edited Tripwire's
include/config.h file so that it included the new conf-freebsd.h file.
That was all.  Simple, is it not?

Upon rebuilding Tripwire and reinstalling it, all appears to be working well!

Thanks for all the responses, and thanks especially to Craig Shrimpton.  I
was very confused, barking up the wrong tree.

Sincerely,
Aaron Gifford