Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 02:25:30 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "Andrew" <acs@fl.net.au>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User PPP and Internal PCI Modem

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Jim Freeze wrote:
>
> > I have a PCI modem in a PCI port.
>
> Its not a winmodem is it? Most internal modems seem to be these days...

I had a modem that I had retrieved from a deceased compaq computer.
I wasn't able to verify that it was not a winmodem, so I purchased a
PCI internal modem that is 'supposed' to not be a winmodem.
The external modems are quite expensive.
--Is there a way to tell by the way fbsd probes the devices?--

> > The problem is, where does the modem show up, or, how
> > do I find it.
>
> If you type dmesg you should see it being detected...probably as sio2 or
> sio3.
>
> > When I try cuaa2 or cuaa3 I get an error...something about invalid file
> > descriptor.
>
> These serail ports are probably disabled in your kernel. You should be
> able to use the kernel configuration editor to reenable these or you may
> have to rebuild your kernel and remove the disable keywords from in fron
> of sio2 and sio3. To get to the kernel configuration tool, when you boot
> you should get a message about pressing enter to boot immeadiatly or any
> other key for (something I forget). Press any other key then type boot -c.
>
> When you get the config prompt you probably want to type visual.

I did as you suggested and entered into the boot configuration screen.
Then I added the two serial ports sio2 and sio3 to the hardware list
to be checked. Here is the results from dmesg:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio2 not found at 0x3e8
sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio3 not found at 0x2e8

Of course, ppp does not work since I don't have a valid
value for the device setting in the ppp.conf file:

set device /dev/cuaa?

And, depending what 'bad' value I choose, I get different results.

# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON > dial
Warning: deflink: /dev/cuaa2: Bad file descriptor
 ---- or for cuaa0
no affect.

Can you tell what is going on now?
I'm not sure what to try next, except to keep reading and hope I get lucky.

Thanks
Jim