Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:20:35 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Bob Kersten <bob@fellownet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab and mysql

Bob Kersten wrote:

>	Second question, my MySQL is extremely slow. I'm running FreeBSD
>4.5-Stable on a Pentium-90Mhz with 64 mb ram, so that ought to be
>enough, i would think. But when the database grows (like 300 entries
>with text) it takes a few seconds for my PHP pages to load. I've seen
>MySQL running amazingly fast on a machine far less than mine and
>databases much bigger than the ones i use. Phpmyadmin is also pretty
>slow and takes over 5 seconds to just show a simple table overview.
>All these tests are done on the localhost, so the internet connection
>is not an issue here. What is wrong here?

Gonna need some more info.
Can you watch "top" and "systat" (the vmstat screen) while these delays are
occurring?  It will probably tell you where the bottleneck is.
Simply the size of the db isn't enough to diagnose.  Do you have it well
indexed, and are you searching on indexed columns?  Lots of factors that
could affect this.  Was php compiled into Apache statically or as a module?
Lots of things to look at.

-Bill