Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:14:21 -0500
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crbowman@erols.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Encryption rules changes coming up - win for open source

At 03:01 AM 1/13/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
> >     The last two paragraphs are the most relevant to us.
> >
> >     http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-tech-encryption.html
>
>Hmm.  These paragraphs don't sound that nice:
>
>   [...]  complex restrictions still affect programrs and
>   others who want to exchange programs or source code to
>   write programs.
>   [...]  ``The bad news is, if you want to send an encryption
>   program outside of the United States, you still need to
>   hire a lawyer,'' Davidson added.
>
>But then, at the end:
>
>   People posting ``open source'' programs would be required
>   to send the code, or a Web site address where the code was
>   displayed, to the government.
>
>Basically, does this mean something like
>tar cf - /usr/src/crypto | mail president@whitehouse.gov
>?  :-)

The last paragraph would be a step in the right direction but still seems
silly.  What are they going to do with it?  I would really like to see people
educate them on the stupidity of sending code to Washington.  I think it would
be neat if there was one of those blue ribbon campaign where on a flag day
every one put all the open source encryption programs they could find up on
their web pages, and then sent them to Washington, one to a floppy
disk/envelope.  It would be kinda neat if 1, 5, 10 or even a hundred thousand
little envelopes with 1 floppy a piece showed up it the appropriate Washington
office on the same day.  Wonder how long the silly send a copy to Washington
rule would remain after that.