Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 21:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Eldredge <neldredge@hmc.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/37946: portupgrade: portsdb -Uu exhausts memory

>Number:         37946
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       portupgrade: portsdb -Uu exhausts memory
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD mercury 4.5-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p4 #6: Sat May 4 15:58:41 PDT 2002 nate@mercury:/big/obj/big/src/sys/MERCURY i386

Running portsdb -Uu runs for a while, then starts a perl process which
grows to use over 300M of memory.  This exhausts the virtual memory on
my machine, the process gets killed, and the index update doesn't work.

My ports tree was checked out this morning.  The only unusual feature
about it is that excludes most non-English ports.  My refuse file contains:

ports/chinese
ports/french
ports/german
ports/hebrew
ports/japanese/[^nt]*
ports/korean
ports/russian
ports/ukrainian
ports/vietnamese

I have reproduced this both times I tried it.  I'm happy to send more details,
test patches, etc.

I have portupgrade rev.1.179 installed, which I believe is the latest.
>How-To-Repeat:
portsdb -Uu
>Fix:
I wish!