Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:04:11 -0600
From:      Danny MacMillan <flowers@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        Duane Winner <dwinner-lists@att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd and MS Active Directory

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:02:46AM -0600, Duane Winner wrote:

> During a meeting with their IT people a couple of days ago, most issues
> were agreed upon, however, the director of IT informed me that I will
> need to make both of these boxes conform to their Active Directory network.

The phrase "conform to their Active Directory network" is pretty ambiguous.
I would be asking for more detail if I were you to find out what they
really mean.

> I think what he was referring to is DNS and IP assignments, and that I
> can't just hard code the hostname and IP address as I normally would and
> expect it to work on their network, since they don't run bind or static
> DNS services.

Microsoft DNS is no thoroughbred, but can be configured to do what just
about any other DNS server will do.  Ditto for DHCP.  The only impact
Active Directory has on DNS, that I know of, is that Active Directory
stores SRV records in DNS so that clients can bind to it (I don't
completely understand this, I just see a lot of weird _firstsitename
stuff in a zone dump from our MS DNS server).  As far as I know this
has no impact on the FreeBSD side.  Since they presumably already have
their DNS server running (otherwise Active Directory wouldn't work)
you shouldn't have to do anything special on the FreeBSD side.

It seems unlikely to me that that's what they meant.  I really would
ask for more information.  Maybe they want their FreeBSD administrators
to authenticate against AD accounts?

If you do set up a testbed Active Directory, I would advise you to set
up MS DNS first, as I've had what can most charitably be called
"problems" when letting Active Directory set up DNS automagically.

Danny