Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:24:42 -0400
From:      richf <juggler@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.3 does not autoboot?

--Boundary_(ID_6ddbgkCb39ul/3hul/xEcg)

Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of 4.3, and it went smoothly.

The problem is that boot2 won't run anything unless I press the enter key at the "boot: " prompt.
I'm new to Free, but my understanding is that in the default install boot2 will automatically run /boot/loader. This does not happen unless I press the enter key. I've tried creating a /boot.config file containing either the single line "/boot/loader" or "/kernel" but neither of these cause autoboot to happen. I still have to press the enter key at the "boot: " prompt.

What am I missing? Can someone provide a clue?  I've read through the man page for boot(8) but without finding the answer.
Please let me know if I have to provide more information.

Thanks to all who help!

Rich

--Boundary_(ID_6ddbgkCb39ul/3hul/xEcg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've just done a fresh install of 4.3, and it went
smoothly. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The problem is that boot2 won't run anything unless
I press the enter key at the "boot: " prompt.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm new to Free, but my understanding is that in
the default install boot2 will automatically run /boot/loader. This does not
happen unless I press the enter key. I've tried creating a /boot.config file
containing either the single line "/boot/loader" or "/kernel" but neither of
these cause autoboot to happen. I still have to press the enter key at the
"boot: " prompt.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What am I missing? Can someone&nbsp;provide a clue?
&nbsp;I've read through the man page for boot(8) but without finding the
answer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Please let me know if I have to provide more
information.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks to all who help!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Rich</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_6ddbgkCb39ul/3hul/xEcg)--