Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 17:29:06 -0500
From:      E.J.Cerejo <ecerejo@zapo.net>
To:        thursday@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: idiot xfree86-4 questions

>Subject: idiot xfree86-4 questions
>   From: what <thursday@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>
>   Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:45:16 +0000
>     To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
>Greets,
>
>I am trying to configure XFree86 (3) on a Pentium-3 running FreeBSD
>4.5-RELEASE. I installed the XFree86 distribution from /stand/sysinstall.
>
>The card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro GL.
>
>I understand that XFree86 3.3.6 doesn't support this card.
>
>So, I guess I need XFree86-4
>
>My idiot questions are these:
>
>- Do I need to remove XFree 3.3.6? If so, how? It don't show up in
>pkg_info.

Yes you should remove it first
It should be in there, try this command:
ls /var/db/pkg | more
Then remove it:
pkg_delete -f XFree86-3.3.6 <---or whatever version you have, the first command should tell which version you have.

>- Do I need to recompile/reinstall my X apps? (KDE, Xemacs, etc?)

I don't think so

>- Is the command to startx under version 4 still startx?

Yes it is, you should update your ports with cvsup first so you install the latest version of XFree86-4.  Make sure you put this line in your /etc/make.conf file:
XFREE86_VERSION=  4