Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:06:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin), jlemon@flugsvamp.com (Jonathan Lemon), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thread-specific data and KSEs

> > > Well, %gs would cover x86 and k64.  I think ia64 has several
> > > application registers that are available for OS use and we
> > > could steal one of those.  I'm not sure about the alpha though.
> >
> > Don't more segment registers cause more overhead for context switches?
>
> It's just one more register that has to be saved.  I don't
> think it's going to matter much.

The %gs register already has to be saved for WINE processes,
so it's taken (at least when USER_LDT is defined).  So there
would not be an additional context switch for it.

I think that if you guys go forward with this, you should do an
indirect through whatever you end up using.  I realize this will
cost an additional 6 clock cycles, but it will let you expand
the list of things indefinitely, going forward, instead of having
to keep a register dedicated for backward compatability, and then
somehow "grow a new one" when you need to do something similar to
this again, in the future.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---