Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2014 21:45:56 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        "Sevan / Venture37" <venture37@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-dtrace@freebsd.org" <freebsd-dtrace@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Postgresql provider no longer working

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> It appears that the Postgresql provider stopped working at some point,
> I'm running r266890 of 11.0-CURRENT with Postgresql 9.3.4 installed
> and the probes are not showing up.
>
> I've rebuild postgresql with debug defined for both client & server,
> but not a sausage.
> Starting postgreql spits out:
> LOG:  ending log output to stderr
> HINT:  Future log output will go to log destination "syslog".
>
> & that's it.

Hi,

I can't reproduce this using postgres 9.3.4 on r267033 (current). As
usual, it was necessary to first kldload dtraceall and make sure
postgres could access /dev/dtrace/helper (in my case I've added the
pgsql user to the wheel group). It's also necessary to build with
dtraceall loaded (otherwise dtrace -G will fail I think). With that,
the probes show up as expected.

Do other ports create probes successfully? lang/php5 has a DTrace
option and manages to create probes when I run it. If it doesn't in
your environment, could you try running it with the
DTRACE_DOF_INIT_DEBUG environment variable set to "1" and pass along
the output?

Thanks,
-Mark