Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:42:06 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to Upgrade Version of Tar on a 5.3 System.

In the last episode (Mar 15), Martin McCormick said:
> 	I am transfering all our working group files from a
> FreeBSD5.3 platform to a bigger, faster and FreeBSD6.2 system.
> I discovered that bsdtar on the 5.3 system doesn't appear to
> have the --newer-than feature in which you only archive files
> newer than either a given date or a reference file such as the
> last monster tar ball from, say, /usr/home.
[..]
> 	Will either freetar or gtar give me the capability to
> use a reference file to only get the new files that have either
> appeared or changed since yesterday?

gtar has the --newer and  --newer-mtime options, which should suffice
for what you need.  You could also build the latest bsdtar from
http://people.freebsd.org/~kientzle/libarchive/ , but since you just
need it for this one operation, building gtar from ports is probably
easier.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com