Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:07:57 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf external buffer reference counters

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:31:17PM -0400, Kelly Yancey wrote:
> >   This is a good observation if we're going to be doing benchmarking,
> >   but I'm not sure whether the repercussions are that important (unless,
> >   as I said, there's a lot of applications that send exactly 8192
> >   byte chunks?).  Basically, what we're doing is shifting the optimal
> >   send size when using exactly 4 clusters, in this case, to (8192 - 16)
> >   bytes.  We can still send with exactly 4 clusters, it's just that the
> >   optimal send size is a little different, that's all (this produces a
> >   small shift in block send benchmark curves, usually).
> >

>   Are you kidding?  Benchmarks, presumably like every other piece of
> software produced by someone trying to get the most performance out of
> the system, are more likely to have power-of-two write buffers.  Are you
> willing to risk that they didn't also just happen to pick a multiple of
> 2^11?
>
>   Yes, it seems elegant to put the counters in the space that is normally
> unused for receive mbuf clusters, but you can't just blow off Luigi's
> point regarding the send side.

 First of all, I'm not "blowing off" anyone's comments.  I don't
 appreciate the fact that you're eagerly instructing me to "not blow off
 comments" (which I didn't do to begin with) without providing any more
 constructive feedback.

 All I pointed out was that the optimal block size is merely changed
 from an exact 2k, 4k, 8k, etc. to something slightly smaller.  What
 point are *you* trying to put across?  Tell me what's bad about that
 or, better:

 Do you have a better suggestion to make?  What do *you* suggest we do
 with the external ref. counts?  Please, spare me the flame bait.  I
 wasn't being confrontational when I answered Luigi's post and I don't
 need anyone turning this into something confrontational.  Thanks.

--
Bosko Milekic
bmilekic@unixdaemons.com