Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:46:27 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ghostview missing libc.so.4?

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 10:33:34PM -0800, paul beard wrote:
>=20
> On Dec 27, 2003, at 10:27 PM, Chip Wiegand wrote:
>=20
> >Mine has libc.so.5. No wonder the app is failing, it specifically=20
> >wants .4 and is too dumb to work with anything newer. I'm getting real=
=20
> >frustrated with this again, I'd like to move away from MS but it's not=
=20
> >easy to do when the apps I need don't even work properly.
>=20
> You could fake it out with a symlink, but the Real Solution may be to=20
> rebuild whatever that file is part of, which I assume means a=20
> buildworld.

No -- don't do that.  Shlib version numbers are changed for a reason.

Instead either install the misc/compat4x port or else set COMPAT4X=3Dyes
in /etc/make.conf and rebuild your world.  This will let you run apps
compiled for 4.x on a 5.x system.
=20
> I'm only running 4.9: I assume you're on 5.x if you have a higher file=20
> number?

Yes -- for libc the shlib version number is the same as the major
version number of the OS.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20