Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:06:32 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and /usr/local/java

On Friday 16 August 2002 01:24pm, Nick Johnson wrote:
> So what do folks think about creating some kind of /usr/local/java
> hierarchy to manage this stuff?  Maybe with some categories similar to the
> categories established in ports.  I'm thinking of maybe something like
> this:

I agree with idea (not necessarily the implementation though).  The way Java
toolkits, compilers/VMs, docs, support files (and port naming) could probably
use some rethinking.   During the course of writing updated docs for the Java
Project it has become obvious to me, anyway.

Some of the existing ports have the right idea.   If everyone agrees, we can
get this documented as a set of guidelines, and let it get some inertia over
time.

Here are my suggestions:

1.  JAR files:  /usr/local/share/java/classes  (sax, xerces do this already)
2.  Non JAR class packages and support files:
/usr/local/share/java/%%JAVA_VER%%/%%PKG_NAME%%/
(jedit does this, while wrapped with an executable in /usr/local/bin)
3.  Documentation:  /usr/local/share/doc/%%PKG_NAME%%/
4.  "toolkit" ports go into /usr/ports/devel ... perhaps prefixed with "java-"
5.  Applications go wherever they should be classified, no prefix.

While it's little more than a technical point, the term "JDK" has been retired
by Sun ... it's now "SDK", going back to 1.2.x.

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]