Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:00:15 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add more space to the /usr partition || DUMB !

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 01:35:56PM -0400, MET wrote:
> I'm dumb.  I just realized that on my laptop (running FreeBSD) I didn't
> allocate all of the space on my disk that I should have.  Basically, I
> have 9 Gig's just sitting there doing NOTHING.  I'd like to attach it to
> my /usr partition as that's where I would have put it in the first place
> had I not been stupid.
>
> So how would I go about doing this?

One way is to leave the existing /usr alone. Partition, label, and
format the extra space. Mount it someplace such as /usr1. Or better yet
mount it as /home and move your user account(s) over to the new space.
After all, you already have everything installed so you seem ot have
enough space on /usr already and would need space for personal playing.

If /usr is too lean for future use such as having enough space for
rebuilding the system then "mkdir /home/obj" and "rm -rf /usr/obj; ln -s
/home/obj /usr/obj". Can do the same thing for /usr/ports, and /usr/src,
altho I suggest one use "mv".

I have moved /usr/obj and /usr/ports this way on several machines.
FreeBSD is quite happy with a symbolic link for these.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net