Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 18:17:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        maret@axis.de (Alexander Maret)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Alexander Maret
had to walk into mine and say:

> Hmm,
>
> I'm no expert and this all sounds reasonable to me, but there are
> things I haven't mentioned yet:

Grrr. What were you waiting for. You should have mentioned them to
start with.

> When I boot linux on my FreeBSD server and I transfer the same
> 30MB of Data via Samba, I only get 4 (!) collisions (HalfDuplex).

Well maybe FreeBSD is transmitting packets much faster than Linux. :)
You still haven't actually measured the transfer speed, so there's
no way for us to know.

> The collisions are measured with the 3COM NIC-Doctor.
> I don't know if I can trust the output of NIC Doctor but
> I'm (as a newbie) highly alerted by the difference of those two
> values. Anyway - I will try what you told me and look at the
> leds and at the netstat output. I also would like to know
> how I can set up my FreeBSD system to support Full Duplex.

Grrr. This tells me that you may not understand what full duplex
really means. You're not allowed to fiddle with the full-duplex/half-duplex
setting like it's some performance knob that you can crank up to "make
things work better." If all you have is a hub, then the hub only supports
half duplex. You can't set the machines to full duplex if the hub is
only half duplex. You'll get rotten performance. On the other hand, if
you have a *switch* -- which is *NOT* the same thing as a hub! -- and
the switch ports support full duplex operation (which most do), *then*
you can set the hosts for full duplex. Usually though, switches support
NWAY autonegotiation, which means the NICs should autodetect the fact
that the switch supports full duplex and the switch port and the NIC will
both agree to use full duplex automatically.

You can also use full duplex if you wire the machines back to back
with a crossover cable.

As to how you set the interface to full duplex, there are man pages
to read which will tell you that. Naturally, being a newbie, you feel
you have a god given right to ignore the man pages and go rummaging
around with your web browser chewing up bandwidth instead of reading
the instructions right under your nose. If you read the ifconfig(8)
man page and the xl(4) man page, you would learn that the right way
to do it is:

# ifconfig xl0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

> Another interesting thing: If i switch the my NT client to
> FullDuplex and FreeBSD is in HalfDuplex mode then my
> FreeBSD server resets immidiately.

Grrr. I'm sorry, but I really don't think you're putting the pieces
together correctly. Setting the NT machine to full duplex should have
absolutely no effect on the FreeBSD host. It will completely screw up
performance since the LoseNT host will then no longer be set to match
the hub, but that's another problem. I strongly suspect that you're
not making the proper observations when your problem manifests and
just leaping to the conclusion that setting the LoseNT host to full
duplex crashes the FreeBSD host. I don't think that's true. If both
machines are sitting idle (not transmitting any data) and you just
suddenly set the LoseNT host to full duplex, the FreeBSD machine isn't
going to just say "Hey! The LoseNT host changed modes! I better crash
now!" There must be more to it than that, but you're not going into
any detail. Remember when I said I wanted *detailed* problem reports?
This is why. How do we know there isn't some really explicit panic
message on the console that's screaming: "I crashed because of the
following reason: <foo>?" Maybe there's a message like that there, but
we'll never know unless you tell us!

So don't tell me "it resets immediately." Tell me *EXACTLY* what
appears on the console (or if!) it crashes, word for word. Not your
interpretation of what it says: *EXACTLY* what it says.

And you still haven't explained what you meant about the LoseNT
machine crashing before.

-Bill