Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:41:44 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Joao Barros <joao.barros@gmail.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0 network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))

On Monday 30 June 2008, Joao Barros wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > The following USB drivers will remain enabled due to on-going USB work
> > that should eliminate IFF_NEEDSGIANT:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> Is this on-going USB work just on the driver level or on the USB stack
> as well? I assume both need to be touched for MP safety.
> Who is doing this work?
>
> Joao Barros

Hi,

In the USB perforce project there are Giant free USB ethernet drivers, which
have been around for quite a while. I am currently in the run-up renaming
symbols so that my new USB stack can co-exist with the old USB stack. At
least it will be possible to compile a kernel with both USB stacks.

I suppose that USB ethernet drivers will no longer be available in the old USB
stack ?

References for FreeBSD developers:

Before symbol rename:
//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/usb {if_xxx.c}

After symbol rename:
//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/usb2/ethernet

Others:

http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/usb2/ethernet&HIDEDEL=NO

--HPS