Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:59:29 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Simon Burke writes:

> Use on my SGI workstaion (IRIX), GIMP

I said Photoshop, not GIMP.

I don't want equivalents, I want the same applications.

I can get Photoshop on the Mac, so moving to a Mac would not present a
problem for Photoshop (although it would for most of my other
applications).

> All of MS office can be run via wine ...

Why bother, when it's so much easier to run Windows instead?

>> Corel KnockOut
> Quite probably plugins for GIMP to do that, infact if u know how to
> use photoshop correctly then why would you need it?

Have you ever used KnockOut?

> If this means smart filesystem, then whats wronf with UFS2, ResierFS, XFS,

No.  SFS is a spectrogram analysis system for study of human speech and
phonology.

>> Rebel
> GIMP, or stop being so fsckin lazy

Rebel is a chess program.

>> However, I should point out that I also have applications that will not
>> run on Windows:
>>
>> BIND
>> sendmail
>> syslog
>> sshd
>> ProFTP
>> SFTP
> Every heard of cygwin?

Just as it's illogical to run Windows applications in emulation under
another OS, it's illogical to run non-Windows applications in emulation
under Windows.

> There are alsways alternaitves that can do the exact same job ...

I don't want alternatives, I want THE SAME PRODUCTS.  Why is this so
difficult to understand?  I don't want to run just any SMTP mailer, I
want to run sendmail.  It's as simple as that.

> ... so i dont see the problem ...

I do.  Many geeks are extremely attached to their operating systems and
relatively indifferent to their applications, since they often never do
anything critical or serious with their systems, anyway.  So they see no
problem in using "equivalents" for certain applications in order to
guarantee that they can play with their favorite operating systems.

Non-geeks need specific applications for specific purposes, and the OS
is irrelevant.  So if application X runs on OS Y, then OS Y is the
obvious choice.

The vast majority of computer users are in this latter category--even
many IT professionals are in this category.

> ... Oh by the way I am a linux system developer, so
> i do know what im on about unlike Mr i cant be bothered to update  my
> workstations.

I've been a system developer, too, several times.  But I have neither
the time nor the inclination to be one when I'm trying to achieve
practical, useful goals with my computers.  Playing around with an OS is
only practical if you have nothing else to do with a computer except
play around with an OS.

--
Anthony