Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:58:36 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 07:32:37PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> I look forward to your PR containing said script.
>
> > Writing the script is MUCH easier than opening your eyes to the idea that there
> > might be a better way.
>
> It shouldn't take too long, then :-P
>
> > If FreeBSD is ever going to amount to much more than a few "hackers"
> > playing in their sandbox, there is going to have to be a less myopic
> > view of the needs of others. Right now, the prevaling attitude is
> > "I've got mine, to hell with the rest" and "NIH rules"
>
> No, FreeBSD is and always has been progressed by people who do the work to
> solve a problem. Expecting someone else to do the work for you is just not
> the way it works.

	What you say here, Kris, --and Chuck too, IIRC-- about sums it
	up.  I can see the potential problem, so maybe the thing for
	you to do, Richard, is cobble together a script.  In fact,
	with all the hours this discussion has taken, you could've
	probably written it.

	And yup, whoever sees a problem is the one who should come
	up with a reasonable solution.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix