Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:56:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      kd4zkw@amsat.org
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp -auto and filtering local

Hello. I just installed 3.0 and I love it. It's really
nice, and the elf system will help it immensely. I also
run Slackware Linux 2.0.34 with the ax25 kernel.

Here's what I'm trying to do.

Support demand dialing for the ax25 users for internet access.
Allow the linux box to use tcpip apps, and connect to the
Inet.
Support demand dialing of the FreeBSD box.

and

stop the darn thing from dialing out if the telnet connection
is only for the lan.

I am using these addresses.

10.0.0.1 for the linux box.
10.0.0.2 for the FreeBSD box.

44.98.2.22 for the linux box from outside.
209.4.65.28 for the FreeBSD box to the net.

When I telnet to 10.0.0.1 from 10.0.0.2, it has to
wait to complete a dial before it'll let me log in
across my lan. Same is true conversely. I would like
it to be able to recognise the difference between the
requests for lan access, and network access. Here is
my ppp.conf file.

 alias port 10.0.0.1:ftp ftp
 alias port 10.0.0.1:http http
 alias port 10.0.0.1:telnet telnet
 alias port 10.0.0.1:ping ping
 alias port 10.0.0.1:finger finger
 alias port 10.0.0.1:traceroute traceroute
    set filter alive 0 deny icmp
    set filter alive 1 deny udp src eq 53
    set filter alive 2 deny udp dst eq 53
    set filter alive 3 permit 0 0
    set filter dial 0 deny icmp
    set filter dial 1 permit 0 0
    set filter dial 4 deny 0 0 tcp syn finrst

IS there something I can do to get it to understand what
I want it to do ? Any help on this is appreciated. I'm
stumped.

                      Curtis D. Levin   cdlevin@dialisdn.com