Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:11:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsdboot.exe can't load elf kernels

Anton <tosh@assa.vl.net.ua> wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > is there way to boot fbsd3.x from dos? all ok with 2.2.8,
 > but in 3.x fbsdboot.exe say 'Invalid format'.
 > also i see that fbsdboot.exe is not changed since 2.xx
 > it can't support elf format at all?

Correct, fbsdboot.exe does not support ELF kernels, and it's
considered obsolete.  (It didn't work for me anymore even
before the switch to ELF, so there must be even more brokenness
in there.)

Just don't boot FreeBSD from DOS.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)