Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:45:04 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <i18n@FreeBSD.ORG>, <gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>, <knu@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: iconv port: plea for take-over

On 02/16/02 05:17, "Maxim Sobolev" <sobomax@mail.ru> wrote:
> So as to me, though instead of marking BSD iconv broken IMO it would be
> better to install all its components with `b' prefix (i.e. libiconv -->
> libbiconv, iconv.h --> biconv.h etc), so that all packages that are
> happy with BSD iconv are still able to use it.

Agreed.  Note that I am currently working on the converters/libiconv port
(aka giconv) since it seems to be wanting to install files during the build
(bad code, no biscuit).

However, given the number of ports that depend on both iconv's, we do need
to look at doing this as a big patch, rather than piecemeal, as the change
from g->[nul] and [nul]->b takes place.

I have absolutely no time for this next week, but am more than willing to
manage the transition if this is the agreed approach.

-aDe