Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2015 08:30:16 +0200
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update to 10.2-RELEASE broken ?

Am 16.08.2015 um 20:07 schrieb Kurt Jaeger:
> Hi!
>
> [bob wrote]
>> [ck wrote]
>>> I have been trying to update several of my FreeBSD 10.1 amd64
>>> VM to 10.2-RELEASE with freebsd-update and have been failing with
>>> an incorrect hash error.
>
>> FWIW I had the same issue yesterday on a couple of systems.
>> Repeating freebsd-update worked after two or three goes.
>
> I've seen the same problem on several hosts and discussed it by mail
> with gjb@.
>
> We assumed that I have a DNS problem because of this line:
>
>> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
>
> This happens with this query inside the freebsd-update script, at
> line 950:
>
> host -t srv _http._tcp.update.FreeBSD.org

I think there is also a problem with freebsd-update.

[root@miraculix ~]# freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.2-RELEASE
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
^C
[root@miraculix ~]# host -t srv _http._tcp.update.FreeBSD.org
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 40 80 update6.freebsd.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 35 80 update4.freebsd.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 30 80 update2.freebsd.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 5 80 update3.freebsd.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 50 80 update5.freebsd.org.

freebsd-update reporting no mirrors found but the host command returns mirrors.

The problem seams to be the
sed -nE "s/${MLIST} (has SRV record|server selection) //p"

MLIST is _http._tcp.update.FreeBSD.org but sed doesn't match any of the lines from the host command.

Replaceing the servername with the lowercase variant matches every line.

There is not DNS Problem but a case sensitivity problem in freebsd-update

Regards
    Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | http://www.augusta.de/~estartu     |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    | PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | JabberID: estartu@augusta.de       | on request
Germany            | 					|