Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:56:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Stefan Walter <stefan.walter@stud.udo.edu>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No connection with isdnmonitor

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Martin Husemann wrote:

> > Well, yes: it doesn't work, either. ;) I did try it, but the
> > socket is not created by isdnd. Additionally - although I'm not
> > quite a newbie to UNIX systems any more -, I know next to nothing about
> > sockets; just enough to make sure it doesn't work, either.
>
> Please try this: shut down isdnd, start it again manually.
> Then look at the place where it should have created its socket (i.e.
> /var/run/isdn-monitor). If it's there, then probably your isdnd is started
> too early at boot time and the socket is removed by /var/run cleanup later.
> You could also see this from netstat: it would list the socket, even if its
> not in the filesystem.
I tried that, but it's still the same. I tried sockets as well as
hosts/ip-addresses, but there isn't any monitor server listening. netstat
says the same.

> > netstat says there's nothing listening on port 451 at any of my IPs. I
> > tried 127.0.0.1 as well as the IP of my NIC, plus the local domain
> > socket. That's why I was asking, everything seems well-configured...
>
> So, either you don't have montior support (or TCP/IP montior support) compiled
> into your isdnd (check for I4B_EXTERNAL_MONITOR and I4B_NOTCPIP_MONITOR on
> the cc command line when compiling isdnd), or your isdnd should have loged
> all socket relevant errors when starting up.
As there aren't any error messages, recompiling seems the only way. I
don't want to do it now, though, as I will upgrade to FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
at the beginning of next week; I'll upgrade to the latest i4b version
then, too, and recompile it.

> Or: something in your config file is wrong (or a bug in the parser reads
> it wrong) and therefore isdnd doesn't even try create a monitor socket.
As I don't get any error messages when isdnd parses the config file,
everything should be fine; everything else (i.e. my internet
connection) is working quite normal.
I'll just wait until next week and see if Hellmuth is right and it'll work
after the upgrade.

Regards,
Stefan
--
GPG fingerprint: 6719 7C67 E188 4419 C7F6  786E 58C0 AEBF 5796 6947
GPG key available on request