Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:47:22 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus Reset & Frozen System with ahc driver !!!

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 10:15:15 -0500, Alejandro Ramirez wrote:
> (sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): SCB 0x6b - timed out in command phase, SEQADDR == 0x152
> (sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): BDR message in message buffer
> (sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): SCB 0x6b - timed out in command phase, SEQADDR == 0x152
> (sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
> ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 5 SCBs aborted
>
> I know that I have to change the tape drive, and I also have eliminating the
> cron job from being executed, but in the mean time I really dont think that
> ist good to freebsd not to be able to recover it self from this state,
> resetting the SCSI bus where the disks also lives, and got frozen by this???
> could this be a bug in the ahc driver???

The 'timed out in command phase' message probably indicates that you have a
cabling or termination problem.

It means that the bus has probably gotten stuck in that phase, which isn't
good.

So check your cabling and termination.

FreeBSD shouldn't freeze, and it's possible that the issue that causes the
freezes has been fixed in a later version of FreeBSD, but I don't know for
sure.

In any case, the best way to fix your problem is to track down the cabling
or termination problem in your system.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry